2012, Arkib Berita, Pembangunan Sekolah, Program

School gets world award

Friday, August 03, 2012

By SHARIFAH SYAKILA | news@nst.com.my 0 comments

HISTORIC: Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Sultanah Asma marching band beats 26 others

.World Association of Marching Show Band president and chief executive officer Robert G. Eklund presenting the Sudler Shield Award to Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Sultanah Asma principal Kartini Zakaria.

1 / 1

ALOR STAR: SEKOLAH Menengah Kebangsaan Sultanah Asma  has scored a first for high schools in the country after its marching band, (SASBAND), received the prestigious United States-based Sudler Shield Award.

It beat 26 other high schools worldwide to win the award, which recognises high school, youth and marching bands of excellence.

SMK Sultanah Asma is also one of six foreign high schools to have won the award, which has mostly been dominated by American schools. The award giving ceremony, held at SMK Sultanah Asma hall here, was presented by World Association of Marching Show Band (WAMSB) president Robert G. Eklund.

He said SASBAND was among 27 high schools selected to vie for the annual award at the World Championship Marching Show Band in Kuala Lumpur last year.

“For 2011, WAMSB has decided to award the Sudler Shield to SASBAND for its world class performance,” he said.

SMK Sultanah Asma principal Kartini Zakaria said she was delighted and proud of SASBAND’s achievement.

“The teachers, students and parents have always supported the band through thick and thin.

“We need all the support we can get, be it mentally or financially, for our young musicians to compete at international levels,” she said.

SASBAND, an all-girls school band, will take part in the World Championship Competition to be held in Brazil in 2014.

Living up to its name, the 140-member SASBAND later performed a repertoire of four popular songs — Singapore Rhapsody, Musim Buah-Buahan, When the Saints Come Marching In and Dancing Queen.

Read more: School gets world award – General – New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general/school-gets-world-award-1.119139#ixzz22SoV2Ms9

Advertisements
2012, Arkib Berita, Forum, ICT/Teknologi, Keibubapaan, Masalah Pelajar, Pembangunan Sekolah, Rencana, Surat

Handphones in schools

Friday August 3, 2012

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/8/3/focus/11785391&sec=focus

NEW thinking must be incorporated for our learning goals to be achieved. Mobile devices offer the potential for a rich, multimedia learning experience, but there seems to be great apprehension among educationists regarding this.

The decision whether to allow our students to bring handphones to school has not been made.

Yet, many individuals have stated their disagreement as it can pose many negative consequences, namely the students may not pay attention in class as well as the handphones may get stolen.

Then, of course, we tend to shudder at the idea of our students being able to freely access the web as pornographic sites tend to pop up ever so often.

Mobile learning builds on the advantages offered by e-learning (i.e. allowing learners to learn when and where they choose) by expanding those advantages to a mobile platform that users can carry with them for learning on-the-move.

Mobile learning is quickly growing in popularity with the increasingly high saturation of mobile devices such as smart phones, tablet PCs, and other small screen portable devices, within both the public sector and in higher education.

We need to prepare our students to be autonomous learners so that they do not struggle once they pursue their degrees.

Of course, the act of “spoon-feeding” them will diminish if not cease altogether.

Instructional designers, trainers, and other adult educators in both the corporate world and higher education cannot afford to ignore the use of mobile devices in training and education if they wish to stay competitive and relevant.

As the education landscape becomes increasingly competitive, the ability of institutions to offer mobile learning may give them an edge over institutions lacking that capability.

As mobile content consumption continues to rise, educators need to be prepared to deliver training to mobile learners.

The main principle in 21st century learning is on using learning activities to engage learners, acknowledge the learning context, challenge learners, and provide opportunities for practice in order to contribute to quality learning experiences.

By considering learners’ creative, collaborative, communicate and critical engagement, a proper framework for mobile learning can provide a meaningful insight into a mobile learner’s achievement of knowledge.

There are some ways of overcoming the pitfalls of bringing handheld devices to schools.

Definitely, the Education Ministry will need to lay out some guidelines to teachers and students alike, such as the models and type of handheld devices that are allowed, the time and duration, as well as where these devices may be used.

Parents and teachers may work together to block certain applications which are not educational.

Let us work together to enable our future generation to benefit from mobile learning and consider all factors before we make any harsh decisions that may affect quality learning for the benefit of everyone.

JAI SHREE MAVANI

Malacca

2012, Arkib Berita, Bahasa, Forum, Pembangunan Sekolah, Subjek, Surat

No access to past English Literature papers

Friday August 3, 2012

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/8/3/focus/11785160&sec=focus

MY son will be sitting for the SPM exams at the end of the year and will be offering English Literature as one of his subjects.

As this subject is not being taught at his school, he is preparing for it privately.

Past examination papers are routinely available at bookstores for most SPM subjects, but we scoured the shelves for the English Literature papers to no avail.

We have been trying to obtain these from Lembaga Peperiksaan for more than a year now, but have met with no success.

In our latest attempt, we were told by an officer from the SPM English Literature section that it was not the department’s policy to make available the past years papers for this subject.

Therefore, a student preparing for this paper should not have any access to past years questions in his/her exam preparations.

I would like to ask the relevant authorities, and indeed, would be grateful , if they might share with us their rationale for this decision.

As it is a crucial part of a student’s exam preparations to attempt past exam questions, why are these being withheld from students sitting for English Literature?

FRUSTRATED PARENT

Petaling Jaya

2012, Arkib Berita, Keselamatan Pelajar/Kesihatan

Nabbed – warden who made his rounds molesting six girls

Friday August 3, 2012

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/8/3/nation/11784045&sec=nation

KUALA TERENGGANU: Six female students of a school in Kemaman have claimed they were molested repeatedly by a hostel warden for three months.

The incidents, which started from May until July, was committed by a 29-year-old man.

It is learnt the warden, who is married, had molested six girls – aged between nine and 14 – at the hostel while on his “rounds”.

Sources said the warden would go into the girls’ rooms late at night while other dormitory residents were asleep.

It is also learnt that the warden would touch the girls’ private parts to satisfy his lust.

Though deeply traumatised, the girls were initially afraid to report the incidents as the warden had threatened to deny the allegations and take serious disciplinary action against them.

However, after being repeatedly molested, the girls finally mustered the courage to lodge a report against the warden.

Terengganu CID chief Asst Comm K. Manoharan said the students told one of their teachers last Tuesday about being the warden’s victims on a frequent basis.

“A teacher brought the girls to the Kemaman police station, where a report was lodged.

“The police wasted no time in detaining the warden at the hostel based on the report,” he told a press conference yesterday.

He said the suspect has been remanded until Aug 7 to facilitate investigations.